Monday, January 21, 2013

Taping Madness

When I first started painting, my goal was to loosen up and break away from my commercial art background that required precision and straight lines. Back then, lines and objects had to be hand-drawn because it was the early 80s before the time of computers and all the cool software and gadgets these kids have today. I started out painting relatively loose but have slowly made my way back to a more graphic, hard-edged style which I have accepted as "me." That's fine, I can't fight destiny. I was, however, not too keen on getting into the whole madness of taping, i.e. using painter's tape to get precise straight lines. This was before I switched from oils, with which you can use a ruler to get straight lines, to acrylics, which unfortunately become a wretched mess when you do the same.


So I have entered the land of taping hell. My easel is covered with little pieces of blue tape, wadded up balls of tape are lying all over the floor near the wastebasket, and I keep forgetting to put the cap on the Xacto knife and have nearly stabbed myself several times. I have a love/hate relationship with taping but when I do the "big reveal" of peeling off the tape, oh what clean lines I have! I know that it is bizarre to get this excited about peeling off tape but I don't get out much these days. Work with me people!

No comments:

Post a Comment