Friday, January 18, 2013

1% Inspiration, 99% Perspiration

2013 is a very big year for me. I'm going to be in my first two-person show in February at the O'Kane Gallery at the University of Houston-Downtown and am getting ready for my first SOLO SHOW in August at the Lawndale Art Center. Of course I am excited but I am also scared shitless. Not about the February show. I have all the paintings done and ready. It's the August show that is freaking me out. I'm afraid that without the deadlines of classes and the seemingly far off in the future date, I will wake up on installation day and have a bundle of great ideas but no actual paintings.

The purpose of this blog is to keep me on track so I can get those paintings done with minimal coffee, email, Facebook, and cat petting breaks. I have also enlisted my sister Joan Babcock, a fabulous artist (check out her work here: www.joanbabcock.com), to keep me on track as my "accountability buddy." This means I have given her permission to yell at me if I don't send her an email with a copy of my completed works by certain dates.

This may seem like an extreme measure to some but I still cannot believe I am having a SOLO SHOW at Lawndale! I love Lawndale! I want it to be awesome! I don't want to wake up on installation day with no paintings! 

So without further adieu, I will now march myself over to my easel and get to work. This blog will chart my progress at keeping focused and getting shit done!

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be working! I made good progress today on my painting today and only took one coffee break!

    ReplyDelete