Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Art, Could You Please Make Yourself?

Part of Giant Untitled Painting, 2013
I haven't been writing in this blog because I have been working nonstop to get ready for my very first solo show that opens August 23rd at Lawndale. I just finished a 4.5' x 15' painting, that is a diptych, i.e. a painting in two parts. I feel very relieved to have that monster done!

Getting ready for an exhibition has a way of taking over your life. You spend many of your waking hours looking at the calendar to see how much time you have left to finish everything and then as you try to fall asleep you worry about all the stuff you still have to do, remember that you should be writing about it in this blog, and then thinking about what you'll work on the next day. When you get to the studio and have been there for what you think is an hour, days and years have actually passed. I'm slightly exaggerating on that last one but I am amazed at how quickly time passes when I'm in the studio and how it seems to stand still when I'm at my day job! (No offense day job, I love and need you.)

When I am not painting, worrying, at the day job, or trying to fall asleep, my husband and I watch a lot of those "survival" type shows on TV. Seeing people who are dropped into the middle of nowhere without food or clothing makes me feel a little less whiny about having to spend all my free time painting. It also gives me great ideas for television programming. My idea is to have a reality show about an artist dropped into the middle of the Amazon jungle by themself, who must make fire, gather food, build a shelter, find water, AND prepare for a solo art show. That would be awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Would they be naked too? JRB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, JRB, I forgot to add that part. It would be modeled after the series, "Naked and Afraid." Potential title: "Naked, Afraid and Artistic."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me laugh, Cary! And you inspire me. Hope to see you at the Big Show. I am writing the date down on my calendar. Keep up the good work.

    Naked, Afraid and Artistic sounds like something I've already experienced many times.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, Cary. We watch "Naked & Afraid" too! Looking forward to "Making Art Naked & Afraid"...Think you might want a fire starter & shelter maker partner... while you make art! Best wishes for your Lawndale Show.

    ReplyDelete