Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Art and the Introvert

The Window at Big Bend National Park
I am both shy and introverted (apparently they can be mutually exclusive) so giving presentations has never been something I look forward to. I have overcome many fears in my 48 years but this one still nags at me. What is baffling is that I've never had a bad public speaking experience that I can recall--no one has ever heckled me or threw stuff at me. I've even gotten positive comments on occasion. After countless presentations I haven't died, so why does this still bother me so much?

Although I have heard that most people fear public speaking more than death, I don't like to admit that I have this fear because I'm afraid it will just perpetuate and make the situation worse. So why am I admitting it then? I know that I am not the only scaredy cat out there, and dammit, everyone deserves to be heard, even if they are shy!

Last week, I did a "Pecha Kucha" presentation on my art at DiverseWorks. It was a five minute slide show and talk, which is not very daunting, but still I was a little nervous and wanted to enjoy doing it rather than just doing it to get it over with. To get ready, I did something called "tapping" which essentially involves stimulating the body's energy meridians to relieve anxiety and other icky stuff. You can find out about it here. I know, it sounds all New-Agey and such, but I will take the risk of sounding like a flake if it will help others get over this fear. And it's much better than that age old suggestion of picturing your audience naked. Who thought of that one and how is that supposed to relax you?!?!

I am happy to report that my presentation went fine; I felt calm, I remembered most of what I wanted to say, and I didn't die. I call that a success!


2 comments:

  1. Yay! A tapper after my own heart. That tapping, new agey stuff works, and thank goodness it does.

    BTW, congrats on all your recent successes. You and your hard work so deserve it.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diana - you're the best! xoxo, Cary

    ReplyDelete