Saturday, February 9, 2013

Doing Lines and Meeting Deadlines

No, I have not turned to 1970-era, disco drugs to get my artwork done. I've just been painting lines, lots of lines, as I put the finishing touches on my latest painting. This is usually a very Zen-like experience for me but yesterday I ran out of the right color of paint with only a few lines left to do so that was kind of a buzz kill. Alas, I am a fighter and you can't keep this girl down. I went right back to my disposable palette pad, mixed some more paint and charged on. Mission accomplished! Now I need to decide if I still want to add the side building that I'd planned on and whether to do a cool blue, light Diebenkornish "sky" or keep it white. I kind of like the starkness of the white. We shall see...

Thursday night was the opening of my first two-person show, Toward Subsistence: Paintings by Rebecca Hamm and Cary Reeder, at the O'Kane Gallery, UH-Downtown, Houston. First off, the exhibition looks great! What a hidden gem the O'Kane is - such a great space. I'm so pleased with how my paintings mesh with Rebecca's oversized, abstract watercolors based on the natural environment. While the O'Kane Gallery is a bit off the beaten path, I hope you will stop by to see the show. It's definitely worth the trip!

1 comment:

  1. I vote for keeping the sky white. It's very atmospheric and somewhat spooky and besides I wouldn't know what a Diebenkornish sky is anyway (although I'm sure that would be nice too!!)(JRB)

    ReplyDelete